Tuesday, May 17, 2011

hw 54

 Although I was not really raised a Christian, both of my parents were. When my mother died, a Catholic priest performed the funeral. For this reason, I sought to learn more about the Christian beliefs toward death and life after death. I had a vague sense that Christians believe in heaven and hell; the good go to heaven and the bad go to hell. This never made too much sense to me because it sounds more like a story made up by people to get you to be "good" while your on earth. Still, I thought it would be good to learn how someone who was an official within a Christian church approached the topic of death.

Two classmates and I interviewed Reverend Linda at the Episcopal church on 12 st and Broadway. Before entering the room, Eloise, Nina and I jotted down some questions to ask her. When we sat in the room, she gave us a really friendly vibe and made sure to remember our names. "This might be a little broad or too general, but what are your beliefs on the care of the dead?" I asked her. She turned her head and answered, "We believe that the body is sacred, and that the dead are sacred. Everybody is equally sacred in front of god. Whether your a terrorist or a president, a policeman or a thief, you deserve respect." We then asked her if she believed in an after life. "Its funny you ask- this is the season of Easter! We believe in resurrection and we believe that Jesus arose from death- not like Casper the ghost necessarily, but reappeared through shut doors from disciples. Whether those were physical or spiritual doors, i don't know. I do know that once your dead, there is a different kind of existence that's not explainable in our words. And that the same thing will happen to everyone." We took a moment to finish off our notes, then Eloise intervened, "So, do you believe in heaven?" She asked. "People spend a lot of time thinking and talking about heaven. But Jesus doesn't talk about a whole other universe. He spoke about a kingdom on earth as it is in heaven."

I then looked up and asked her what her role was like in these funerals. "I work with families who have lost someone. I lead the funerals and prepare them for the families. I choose the songs, scriptures and so on. Each funeral experience has been different. I just led a funeral for a baby this small-" She motioned with her hands and squeezed them together to show us how small. "My gift to these families is to not crumple down but to offer them words that they can hold on to."

Eloise asked her if she believed in hell. "Even though they mention the word hell, they never actually say someone will go. I think that's because history is filled with wicked people, hell functions as a place to serve for justice and you can't have a society function without justice. I think that eventually, god will take care of it." 

When we asked how she prefers to see the dead cared for, she said that they were open to anything and that cremation was okay. She did, however, say that she felt it was easier for the families to grieve when there was a body in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment